I have been tagged by Shilpa Garg, The Analyst, Indrajeet and am expected to spill out my transgressions – “My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes”. Before I proceed to spill out my darkest, deepest sins, I have to admit I revel in my femininity and enjoy the perks that come attached with it. Try going to the PPF (Public Provident Fund) office alone, forms appear magically, the sour faced officer smiles at you; people actually take a break from their tea-break to help you out. You feel like the magic wand that the fairy god mother lost long ago. At the airport if someone insists on lifting my mammoth bag from the luggage carousel, I happily let him. I do not bristle when someone opens the door for me, pulls out a chair or fetches my choice of poison.
But you wouldn’t catch me dead, fluttering my eyelashes or putting on the delicate darling act. Naaah…that’s not me.
This is me
1 .I dread going to the salon and keep stalling my visit till I start looking like King Kong. Each visit is more traumatic for the staff than it is for me; I wince, complain loudly and request a break every 2 minutes. All these years and I can’t still bear the pain.
2. Are women expected to love cooking? Well I don’t. The endless round of chopping, frying and stewing bores me. But that doesn’t stop me from being a foodie. Thankfully am never short of people willing to indulge me.
3. At a party, the woman laughing the loudest with her head thrown back is usually me. I love cracking jokes and keep my friends in splits with my mimicry. Is that unfeminine?
4. I have stuffed myself in a plastic ball and rolled down the gentle slopes of Khajiar. Have parasailed over the Gulf of Thailand even though I can barely swim to save my life.
5. I love babies as long as they are not mine. I find badly behaved, tantrumy kids revolting. I acquired this aversion rather early. Every time my aunt came visiting us with her whiney baby in tow, me and my Mashi (maternal aunt) would pinch him and make him cry even louder.
6. Inane chit chat bores me. I rarely make phone calls, two minutes into the conversation and I am itching to put the phone down. Seriously how can people talk for hours on the phone and more importantly, what do they talk about!! Gosh I am sounding just like my Mom.
7. PDA (Public display of affection) is not my thing. I don’t mwah-mwah and hugging makes me uncomfortable.
8. I have never played with dolls, pink was never my favourite colour and I avoid bling at all costs.
9. I do not read Danielle Steele and could never comprehend the hoopla around Eric Segal’s –Love Story.
10. I often fantasize about beating the living daylights out of boorish a$%holes who believe rules are meant to be flouted and have scant regard for others.
And dearies I just tagged you. A word of caution though, you must tag twelve blogging friends or else you will be cursed to wear blue clothes pants if you are a woman and pink shirts if you are a man – for next twelve years!
Somanjana ,Garima, Sowmya, Joshi Mukard ,le embrouille blogueur, Indrajeet , Restless Souldier